Welcome to Rhea's Research!

Rhea's Research encompasses the research I've done on maintaining a healthy lifestyle. I'm committed to the transformation of humanity through the healing power of food and exercise and I'm using this platform as a means to share my tips, ideas and insights.

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Carob: An alternative to cocoa

I came across a recipe for 'incredible carob brownies' this morning and I decided to give it a try. It's my first time baking with carob - but from what I've read it has many therapeutic benefits and is a healthy alternative to cocoa. 

The pod-bearing carob tree (Ceratonia siliqua) originates in the Mediterranean. Its tropical seed pods are referred to as "carob". The unripe seed pods resemble green-beans. 















Once ripe, the carob seeds can be removed from the pods and are completely edible. Carob powder is formed by toasting the seeds and subsequently grinding them.
















Why is carob considered a healthy alternative to cocoa? 
There are 2 main reasons for this. The first one being that carob, unlike cocoa is naturally caffeine-free. Secondly, unlike carob, cocoa contains theobromine (xantheose) which is responsible for the bitterness in dark chocolate (>70% cocoa). Theobromine is similar in structure and effect to caffeine and is the cause for what is known as "chocolate poisoning". This is most well known to occur in domestic animals- namely dogs and cats, as they are extreme slow metabolizers of this compound and as a result it can last up to 20h in their bloodstream. In humans, theobromine is metabolized quickly and can only become toxic when consumed in large quantities. Its toxicity - like that of caffeine - is a result of its stimulant effect on the brain and heart. So to those dark chocolate lovers (including myself) we should be cognizant of our daily dark chocolate intake. The recommended daily amount is ~ 3 small squares.

What are the therapeutic properties of Carob?
Besides being a terrific source of insoluble dietary fiber, carob contains polyphenolic compounds which have antioxidant properties. Carob is also rich in its protein content and contains high amounts of calcium, potassium and magnesium, as well as iron, manganese zinc and copper to a lesser degree.

So, you must be wondering how my carob brownies turned out?

 They were absolutely rich and delicious...and on that note, I think it's time for seconds.



References:
J. Agric. Food Chem. 2009, 57(7):2999–3004
Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 2009, 64(4):286-92

Credit to http://tree-species.blogspot.com for carob tree pod images.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! I've been substituting carob for cocoa (and using a lot of the other substitutes you recommend) in my baking since I starting baking for Gretchen. Though there are benefits to using good-quality dark chocolate in recipes I couldn't look past the effects caffeine would have on her little body. Being a self-proclaimed "locavore", however, I still struggle with the distance the ingredients I use travel before they get to our table. I am very happy to have access to local maple syrup and applesauce though!

    ReplyDelete